The prospect of remodeling your living space for the first time can cause quite a bit of concern over what all occurs with remodeling. From the unknown length of time the project will take to how much it will cost to complete, feeling uneasy is completely normal.
The way to ease those fears is by becoming educated on what to expect when a remodeling project is going to happen. During our sales process, we will guide you through every aspect you will experience when deciding to remodel your space so you can understand how the project will go from start to finish. Enjoy the list of the top 11 elements you can expect to experience if you consider to remodel.
- Dust: Unfortunately, when remodeling a space, dust is created and a thin layer can accumulate in the areas being worked on. We take every precaution possible to contain the dust to the best of our ability. New products such as Zip Wall, a dust barrier system, have helped to limit the amount of dust created in your home when remodeling. We also suggest covering supply registers and return airs as well as shutting off the furnace if the weather permits, to minimize the spread of dust.
- Noise: The pounding of hammers, the roaring of saws and other power tools working hard is a common mix of noises you can expect to endure if you’re at home when remodeling. Whether you are trying to take a nap or working from home, noise will be constant.
- Emotional Highs: Each job brings exciting and uplifting moments for you as a homeowner. As progress is made on the remodel, you’ll get super excited as milestones are hit. Whether you’ve been waiting to see that wood paneling come out, brand new granite countertop to go in or the project complete as a whole, you get to enjoy some high high’s.
- Emotional Lows: Along with the extreme highlights you will also have some low emotional moments. Drywall sanding is the dirtiest and dustiest part of the project and may seem like a lull in the project. Moving back into your newly remodeled space will be well worth the fatigue of the remodeling process.
- The Unexpected: The unexpected is always lurking when remodeling. Without x-ray vision, we are unable to see what lies beneath the existing project. When demolition occurs and the project moves ahead, our project managers are going to discover something that wasn’t expected. Electrical wiring may be make-shifted, mold may be present, funky plumbing and other obstacles will cause hindrances to the project. Be ready for something to arise that wasn’t calculated for your time and budget and you will be prepared to handle it when it does occur.
- Change Orders: Change orders are when new or changed work is documented. Typically change orders occur when the client elects to add new or changed work to occur while the project is being remodeled.
- Financial Concerns: Even with projects moving ahead right in line with your budget, you may have some hesitation that something may come up. If a change order occurs, you may have additional anxiety towards the remodeling process. A safe bet to alleviate your stress before anything may arise is to save an additional 5% over the contract price.
- Delays: We try to be as upfront with you as possible when creating our production calendar of how your project will be completed on a day-to-day basis. We give each client a calendar so they have a visual schedule of the project progression from start to finish. We recognize our project managers may move faster in some processes where delays may happen in others. Storms may limit work, vehicles may not work correctly and the countertop may take an additional week than expected. We will keep you informed on any changes to the schedules. Rest assured when we start your project, we will continue to work on it daily until it is finished. If we tell you your project it will take four weeks to complete, it will not take four months.
- Decisions: When you decide to remodel, it’s because you are ready to transform the look of your room. With so many different styles and materials, it can be quite overwhelming to think of how you are going to choose what your new space will look like. That’s where our design team comes into play to help guide you through all the material selections. We have a full showroom to show you many options and our designer will help funnel the best options based on your tastes and space to create the perfect room.
- Outliers: Towards the end of the project, be prepared that the last 1-2 items to be finalized may take longer than expected. Everything might be finished in a bathroom remodel except the installation of the shower door. Just keep in mind it is important to get the final details done correctly. Your project will still be completed in time and you will soon get to enjoy your new space!
- Party: What better way to enjoy and show off your newly remodeled project than throwing a party? Throwing a party for your friends and family is exciting and makes the whole remodeling process worth it.
Ready to start your remodeling project? Contact us today!